Search This Blog

Saturday, October 30, 2010

Post Radiation and the next step

I finished radiation October 20th. By then my skin was starting to break open, but I knew the worst was yet to come. Radiation continues to work in the body 7 to 10 days after the last treatment. During that time daily it gets worse. The skin continues to burn and die and peel away.
This time is much worse then last. A much larger area has broken open, and I am having to change the dressings a lot more often. It is very painful, itches, and burns. I have to wash off the silvadine cream between applications. That is excrutiating.
The doctor prescribed my sleeping pills to help me sleep, because for months now I've had a hard time sleeping. Since last year they offered me sleep aids but I refused them because I wanted to be sure to be able to hear Kenzie in the night. But we got to the point where I had to get sleep or I'd not heal.
Fortunately, the pills helped me sleep but did not knock me out so I could hear and care for Kenzie.... then the pain got so bad the pills have not affect, but hopefully it will get better soon.

My doctor wanted to get me into a drug trial, but my insurance will not cover it because it is only in stage 2. My doctor thought it was in a much later stage... Since it is not then we will begin Navulbine (chemo) along with Herceptin Friday.

This course of treatment is 2 weeks on 1 week off. So I'll be going in 2 fridays in a row then have one friday off. I am also scheduled for a PET scan and MRI of the liver on Nov 2nd. This will allow us to see if the cancer has spread in the last 7 weeks of no treatment for the cancer in the liver and lymph node.

Pray for healing, for rest, for strength, and for patience.
Thank you all for being there for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment