Search This Blog

Saturday, October 23, 2010

Next Step

I have finished my 25 radiation treatments (Wednesday actually). So glad to be done, but now the worst part comes. The radiation continues to work in the body 7 to 10 days... so my skin will continue to burn off, open up, and peel away. It is very painful and frustrating.

I have cream to put on it and devised a way to keep padding in place. I also have pain medication, but try to only take it when necessary... which is becoming more consistent.

The doctor also put me on ambien. For over a year the doctor's have wanted to put me on some kind os sleep aid ( I have not been able to sleep very well ). BUT since I have a young child I did not want to take something that would make me not hear her if she needs me.... However, recently it's been much worse. I go to sleep ok but then wake up around 1 or so then can't fall asleep for at times hours...  The doctor said I really need to be getting more sleep so my body can heal and fight this so.... ambien.

The first night (Wednesday) I sent Kenzie to my mom's so she'd be safe if I slept too hard to hear her. The pharmacist and doctor told me to make sure I am ready for bed before I take it, take it 30 min before wanting to go to sleep, and give myself 8 hours of sleeping time....

Any of you who know me really well, know that I never react the way other people do. A couple of instances :
Nyquil keeps me awake
Valium does not put me to sleep (not even 2 taken with 2 oxycodone)

Took the Ambien... was super tired anyway thought I'd fall asleep right away.... NOPE... Dean was snoring right in my ear and I couldn't. So I made him roll over and he was quiet long enough to fall asleep. Woke up at 2:30am... Yeah I was thinking "Are you kidding me.... sleeping pills?"

Used the restroom and fell back to sleep quickly.... better then up an hour or more... Woke up again with Dean's alarm (3:40am) but fell back to sleep right away... then woke up around 6 something then off and on till 10.

So no fear of not hearing Kenzie.. but I do feel it is allowing me to go back to sleep faster and sleep harder because I do feel more rested.

ANYWAY.... November 2nd I have a Pet scan and MRI of liver followed by an appt with my oncologist the 5th. I willstart my new chemo this day as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment